Friday, June 2, 2023

Gov’t cannot solve unemployment alone – Sammi Awuku

Sammi Awuku

The Director-General of the National Lottery Authority (NLA), Sammi Awuku has indicated that the unemployment situation in Ghana is too huge for the government alone to fix.

In an exclusive interview on Peace FM’s morning show, the former NPP national youth organizer said the government cannot handle the task of producing jobs for the enormous number of unemployed youth.

Sammi Awuku said;

READ ALSO,  Bawumia is a friend of the Church – Christian Council

“Government alone will not be able to fix the problem.” The youth bulge is currently the most pressing issue in Sub-Saharan Africa. There are numerous young people… Every year, 400000 people enter the job market in your country. Only 10% of people find work within the first year; for the other 90%, it takes 9-10 years,” he stated.

“Today, when a young man or woman goes job hunting, they are questioned if they have three years of work experience,” he continued. They don’t have it, therefore in essence, that is a huge stumbling point before we determine their fate. So, I believe that if these enterprises and institutions make this appeal to the government, the government would incorporate them into their plans, and when they are granted tax rebates and incentives, it will allow them to encourage and hire more people.”

He, however, praised entrepreneurs for providing chances for young people, but he believes they would require government aid to reach their employment ambitions.