The much-anticipated re-registration of mobile SIM cards in Ghana begins today, Friday, October 1, 2021, and every mobile phone user is expected to re-register their SIM cards.
According to the Akufo-Addo led government, the exercise is expected to last for six months, ending on 31st March 2022.
The registration is aimed at riding the country’s cyberspace of fraudsters, monitor and track down persons who use their phones for criminal activities.
All SIM card users will require the National Identification card also known as Ghana card to be able to register their SIM cards.
The government has indicated that any SIM which is not registered at the end of this exercise will be blocked.
SIM Re-registration Steps:
- Dial the short code *404#
- Enter Ghana Card Pin (Note: Enter letters and figures without hyphens)
- Confirm Ghana Card Pin
- Enter Surname
- Enter First Name(s)
- Enter Date of Birth (Format: DDMMYYYY)
- Select Sex
- Confirm Details
- Submit Details Provided After Confirmation.
- If successful, you will get a confirmation message with a unique code
- If unsuccessful due to wrong details, you have 3 attempts to answer security questions
A second stage of the registration process requires that users visit the office of their telecom service providers.